So I dreamed last night that I was at this place... and I looked out the window to see a race horse going by, on the way to the track. I get excited that there are horses around and so I go outside to find the stable. I find this one stud, locked in his stall. He's massive. Maybe about 17hh. Chestnut with a stripe down his nose. He's pacing in his stall. Snorting, whinnying. I can see that he's lean of fat, but he's low on muscle, too.
All of a sudden, Jonathon's mom is beside me, and saying the stud is her horse. I ask his name. "Man and War." She says. I thought at first she said "Man o' War," and was going to correct her and say that names of thoroughbreds that had won major races were always retired after the death of the horse, unable to be used again. Anyways. I ask her why he's so lean, and why he looked like he hadn't been exercised in ages.
She told me he hadn't been worked because of his temperament, that everyone was scared of him. She tried to put a halter on him and he kept biting at her and demanding that that thing stay away from him. So I take the halter and finally get it on him, unharmed. I lead him out into the isle. The whole time, he's trying to bite me, but he's leading well, other than that. I get him tied up and start grooming him, and he rears up. I yank the lead and say "No!" and he comes back down and looks at me like "Whaaaaaat, lady?" So I go about my business.
Then, once I'm done, and I've curried him, brushed him, combed out his mane and tail, and took a clean rag to his eyes and nose, and another over the rest of him, and after I successfully picked out his feet, which were horrible and needed a trim, I took him to the indoor arena.
In there I dreamed that we worked on all sorts of ground rules. When I was satisfied that he wasn't going to attempt to kill me anymore, I had someone bring out his bridle and saddle and saddle pad, and then saddled him up. I swung up... and then...
I wasn't riding Man and War (aka Sparky) anymore. I was riding Siaga in the woods, bareback. His ears were back to me, and he listened to everything I told him to do and obeyed. He moved smoothly and never faltered at creek or tree or tempting grass shoots. It was fantastic. That was where I woke up. Darn.
No comments:
Post a Comment